Gala at the Monterey Bay Aquarium
The Oceans 2016 Gala will take place at the world-famous Monterey Bay Aquarium on Wednesday, September 21st, evening. Julie Packard, Executive Director of the Aquarium, will welcome delegates with the Great Tide Pool as her backdrop. The Student Poster Competition award presentation will follow her remarks.
Join your colleagues for fabulous food, drink, music, and dance as you explore the Aquarium’s exhibits, which will allow you to:
- Journey to a world of undersea magicians, masters of disguise and quick-change artists in our new exhibit, Tentacles: The Astounding Lives of Octopuses, Squid and Cuttlefishes. You won’t believe your eyes!
- Discover an underwater forest—at 28 feet, the Kelp Forest is one of the tallest aquarium exhibits in the world. You’ll get a diver’s-eye view of sardines, leopard sharks, wolf-eels and a host of other fishes as they weave
through swaying fronds of kelp, just like they do in the wild.
- Out to sea and on the go—life’s in constant motion in the Open Ocean. Welcome to the Aquarium’s largest exhibit, a place where tuna and sharks speed past, sardines swarm in huge, glittering schools, and sea turtles swim lazily across the 90-foot window. Nearby, colorful puffins await their next meal, and brilliant jellies pulse through the water.
- Enjoy the antics of our playful southern Sea Otters as they romp, tumble and wrestle like they do in the wild. On the second floor of the exhibit you can watch them swim at the surface, while first-floor windows give an underwater view of their lively acrobatics.
- ¡Viva Baja! Life on the Edge! The slithery. The scaly. The spectacularly showy. Discover incredible animals from land and sea in this special exhibition featuring creatures from the coastal habitats of Baja California. Life here thrives on the edge of sand and surf, where rugged desert coastline meets the sapphire waters of the Pacific.